Samba How-To

Tim Freeman tim@fungible.com
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:06:59 -0700

From: Stephen Schroder <sschrode@pacbell.net>
>I should have asked if anybody knows the URL of the best samba How-To.
>A Google search has turned up several.

This reference says how to set up a printer with Samba and CUPS:

   http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Debian-and-Windows-Shared-Printing/sharing_with_windows.html

When I used it, this document seemed to be accurate about Samba, but
unfortunately CUPS never worked reliably for me, so this was a dead
end.  If you already have CUPS working then IMO it's good to use.

When I retreated to lpr, I think I used this as my reference:

   file:///usr/share/doc/samba-doc/htmldocs/using_samba/ch07_01.html#s1

which is a copy of the OReilly "Using Samba" book and comes with the
samba-doc package.

If I wanted to do something else with Samba, I'd start with the latter
URL above and find the relevant chapter of the "Using Samba" book.

--
Tim Freeman                                                  tim@fungible.com
GPG public key fingerprint ECDF 46F8 3B80 BB9E 575D  7180 76DF FE00 34B1 5C78