Debian booth at LWE- Is one reserved? If no, should we try to get one?

Hereon hereon2003@yahoo.com
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:00:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Bdale, :)

Could you provide me (and the (San Francisco) Bay Area Debian list readers)
with your thoughts about Debian getting a booth at LinuxWorldExpo in SF?

When I noticed recently that Debian wasn't listed as having an exhibit booth
there,
http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/linuxworldny03/V40/exhibitor_list/exnamelist.cvn?id=2&sort_letter=d
and since the SFBA is where the event is being held, I asked the list if
anyone knew anything about the topic.

http://bad.debian.net/list/2003-July/002113.html

>From responses there I learned
1) A Debian BOF is scheduled, with you as speaker
http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/linuxworldny03/V40/conference/session.cvn?eID=277
2) Sean 'Shaleh' Perry had made some effort to obtain a Debian booth, but
currently was unable to continue to follow up w/ LWE regarding this.

I volunteered to persue the matter, hence this letter to you.

Sean's response:
http://bad.debian.net/list/2003-July/002116.html
My follow up to him: Sean - would you like some help in following up w/ the
LWE people?
http://bad.debian.net/list/2003-July/002137.html
Sean's reply:

"I don't have the time.  The .Org pavilion is also full.  If Debian wants a
booth it will likely have to be purchased.  Dunno, might get lucky.  Please
feel free to contact them or have someone else try.
My experience is that by the time June comes the show is too final to change
much."

So, I'm wondering: do you know anything regarding:

1) If Debian has a booth space reserverd

2) If no, how a satisfactory booth space might be acquired expeditiously

3) Should Debian get a booth for itself, or might it be best at this point to

have a Debian exhibit perhaps:

3a) in conjunction with another booth (such as the FSF?), or

3b) just set up a Debian space unofficially in the "dot org pavilion" area,
or

3c) perhaps just have an informal Debian gathering place/"booth" in one of
the attendee lounge or common areas.  (The convention facility has plenty of
walkway open space, much immediatly outside the expo floor, and I'm sure
anyone with a sense of GNU/Linux community wouldn't mind Debianers gathering
in an open area.  And, if the Expo organizers did object, (which I doubt they
would), I think a few polite words from some senior GLD community members
would cause them to quickly realize the error of such objection.)

Please send your reply to the BAD list.

Thanks!  :)