Wireless inet access help needed for BAD meeting - Can you provide it? (fwd)

Scott Dier - dieman dieman@ringworld.org
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 01:09:18 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarding on...  I'm not in the bay area (was just visiting eariler this
year), but wireless is a topic i get to deal with enough. :)

Didn't know the etiquette for the list, didn't want to add another
'off-topic, sort of' post, but at Hereons suggestion...

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> KC0OBS http://www.ringworld.org/

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 22:44:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Hereon <hereon2003@yahoo.com>
To: Scott Dier - dieman <dieman@ringworld.org>
Subject: Re: Wireless inet access help needed for BAD meeting - Can you
    provide it?

--- Scott Dier - dieman <dieman@ringworld.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Hereon wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to find some one(s) who can either provide wireless
> internet
> > access for BAD meetings, or who knows exactly how to provide it,
> for
> > various meeting locations.
>
> What sort of speeds are you hoping for?

I'd _like_ to find someone who knows about 802.11 to base stations
around the bay area.  I'd like to have 1Mbps+ at BAD meetings.
See: http://www.nodedb.com/unitedstates/ca/sanfrancisco/?

But, the cell phone stuff might do as an initial attempt.

Do you have cell phone inet access that could be shared with 802.11?
Know anyone who does, who might like to come to a BAD meeting and
share, or talk about how to do it?

> AFAIK, the best 'mobile' stuff avaliable at the moment speedwise with
> appropriate mobility would be like 1xRTT(sp?) with CDMA or GPRS over
> GSM.
> Both about as fast as modems, I think.  But rigging up a laptop with
> GPRS card and a Prism2 card and using hostap would work, but it would
> be
> *slow*.  T-Mobile does $30/mo unlimited access, to boot.
>
> In any case, its not that great yet. :|

Also, it would be great if you will send this email and your reply to
the BAD list, so others could be aware of your useful info.  I won't
send it cause I don't know if you specifically didn't want your message
to go to the list.

Thanks!