Debian Enterprise (not a Starfleet metaphor)

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shaleh@speakeasy.net
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:53:19 -0800

On Wednesday 17 December 2003 17:37, Will Lowe wrote:
> > It would indeed have to include the right glibc and kernel *AND*
> > make sure the user does not update away from them.  Which means
> > having two versions of libc on the box.  But if you call Oracle for
>
> Static linking? or LD_LIBRARY_PATH?  I guess that breaks down as soon
> you want to run a perl script that uses DBD::Oracle with /usr/bin/perl
> as the interpreter ... chances are your /usr/bin/perl will choke on
> the version of printf() included with Oracle or whatever.

definitely.  My implication was "bad things will happen".

> >  Not to mention RHisms in scripts and the like from commercial
> > vendors.  At my present job we have backup software, Oracle + ERP,
>
> Do you think LSB will help here? And do we even have a chance of
> getting commercial vendors to use LSBisms instead of Redhatisms?

It has the potential to help.  But I do not know if ISVs will play nice.
Besides, we still have the /bin/sh == bash issues (yeah, petty I know).