Debian Enterprise (not a Starfleet metaphor)

Will Lowe harpo@thebackrow.net
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:37:29 -0800

> It would indeed have to include the right glibc and kernel *AND*
> make sure the user does not update away from them.  Which means
> having two versions of libc on the box.  But if you call Oracle for

Static linking? or LD_LIBRARY_PATH?  I guess that breaks down as soon
you want to run a perl script that uses DBD::Oracle with /usr/bin/perl
as the interpreter ... chances are your /usr/bin/perl will choke on
the version of printf() included with Oracle or whatever.

>  Not to mention RHisms in scripts and the like from commercial
> vendors.  At my present job we have backup software, Oracle + ERP,

Do you think LSB will help here? And do we even have a chance of
getting commercial vendors to use LSBisms instead of Redhatisms?

--
					thanks,

					Will