Setting up X

Alan DuBoff Alan DuBoff <aland@SoftOrchestra.com>
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:29:36 -0700

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 10:05, Steve M Bibayoff wrote:
> Does anybody have a procedures or a link to such on
> how to set up X under Debian?

You should be able to use '/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 -configure' as root to get
it configured, and presumably that is what dpkg-reconfigure would call under
the covers (or /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86cfg).

I believe that XFree86-4 will use an older XFree86-3.x config file, so rename
all your configure files in /etc/X11/ (i.e., XF86Config, XF86Config-4,
etc...).

It should produce a /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file for you.

You can go in and edit that file by hand if it doesn't get you the H & V
frequencies your monitor handles.

Stay away from the Modeline statements from XFree86-3.x if you can help it,
the new config is much simpler and safer to use.

Maybe others will have some input here.

BTW, xbase-clients package should get you /usr/X11R6/bin/startx if you are
accustomed to using it. I always disable xdm, kdm, gdm, or whichever init
script gets set to start, since I like booting into command mode, and using
startx after that. Check update-rc.d to remove that if you see fit.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.