Trackin' stable vs. releases

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu, 9 May 2002 23:29:13 -0700

Quoting Alan DuBoff (aland@softorchestra.com):

> Possibly so Rick, but you're convincing me to go with the toy story
> name even more so now...since if I had started to track woody when it
> was unstable, left it in my sources.list, it would move to testing,
> then to stable without me doing anything else to it.

Actually, the best method of implementing your expressed preference is
the one Nick outlined.

> Where as if I go with testing or unstable, at the point woody changes to
> stable, I'll be on a different branch, if I don't change it.

Actually, you'd be on the same branch:  testing or unstable.  ;->

> Ultimately, I want to be on stable.

Which is odd:  Do you like what you see in the testing branch, or not?
If you don't, why are you there?  If you do, then why do you think you
won't want to be there later?

It's of course entirely your own affair.  I just keep suspecting this is
the result of muddled thinking.