Problem with usb visor

Wayne Earl wayne@qconcepts.net
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 13:41:01 -0700

I'm having some really wierd problems getting my usb visor to work under
debian (woody, specifically, using kernel-package-2.4.18-686). This
system was formally running Red Hat 7.3, so I've had this working
before. Previously, /dev/ttyUSB1 was the visor device, and I suspect
this has not changed simply by changing distros.

Permissions seem correct:
wayne@vimes:~$ ls -al /dev/ttyUSB1
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout  188,   1 Mar 14 13:54 /dev/ttyUSB1

wayne@vimes:~$ cat /etc/group | grep dialout
dialout:x:20:wayne,root

The kernel knows about the hardware:
wayne@vimes:~$ lspci
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)

The module is loaded into memory:
wayne@vimes:~$ /sbin/lsmod
visor                  10048   0 (unused)
usbserial              17824   0 [visor]
usbcore                48192   0 [visor usbserial]

wayne@vimes:~$ dmesg | grep usb
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb.c: registered new driver serial
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Handspring Visor
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Palm 4.0
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Sony Cli\351 3.5
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Sony Cli\351 4.0

But trying to sync, using either jpilot or pilot-xfer doesn't seem to
work. Attempting to access the visor at either /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1 doesn't
work, either.

I do press the sync button on the handspring cradle before running
pilot-xfer or syncing with jpilot, to no avail. Previously, pressing the
hot sync button generated syslog messages stating that, yes, the visor
is present on /dev/ttyUSB1. Following the rebuild, this no longer
occurs.

Anyone have any ideas or pointers?

--
Wayne Earl <wayne@qconcepts.net>