Windows porting

Ben Pfaff blp@cs.stanford.edu
13 Jan 2002 14:43:17 -0800

"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> on Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 01:54:23PM -0800, Ben Pfaff (blp@cs.stanford.edu) wrote:
> > Also, my own experience with Windows ports is that the users are
> > assholes.  I once went to some trouble to port GNU PSPP (my program)
> > so that it would run under Windows.  All I got back was self-righteous
> > flames that it "sucked" because it didn't have a graphical interface.
> > Never again.
>
> ...scads or what?  This is why Fnord invented killfiles.

Not scads, but enough.  From Unix-like OS users, I got
compliments, bug reports, and feature requests; from Windows
users I got flames.  That's enough of a pattern for me.

I don't object if people port my software to Windows, and there's
way I could prevent them from doing it even if I wanted, given
the license, but I'm not ever going to do it myself again.
--
"[I]n this era of constant innovation,
 it takes a special kind of person to look evolution in the eye