Windows porting

Ben Pfaff blp@cs.stanford.edu
13 Jan 2002 13:54:23 -0800

"Robin Rowe" <rower@MovieEditor.com> writes:

> I have no problem if people aren't interested in the
> topic. That's why when the discussion shifted to why Windows
> ports are undesirable I didn't just drop it. I was curious to
> hear why some people felt strongly that way, especially since
> it seems like all popular Linux open source projects have
> Windows ports.

My own feeling about Windows ports is that they can act to
discourage migration to a free operating system.  If users can
use a wide variety of free software on Windows, then there isn't
as much inducement to not use Windows.  I don't want to encourage
use of Windows.

Also, my own experience with Windows ports is that the users are
assholes.  I once went to some trouble to port GNU PSPP (my
program) so that it would run under Windows.  All I got back was
self-righteous flames that it "sucked" because it didn't have a
graphical interface.  Never again.
--
"I didn't say it was your fault.
 I said I was going to blame it on you."