libhttp

Alan DuBoff Alan DuBoff <aland@SoftOrchestra.com>
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:26:18 -0700

Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> It's a bit hard to believe that something very similar doesn't already
> exist.

There are a couple libraries that do exist, such as libghttp (gnome http
library), but they require a more compilicated setup and calling convention
than I wanted. I wanted something easy to use, you call it and it gets
everything setup, the socket, data, etc...

The library I created allocates/reallocates the memory for the data as it's
being transferred.

Also, when working with embedded devices where resources are limited, libghttp
for instance, requires that it allocate a copy of the data as it transfers,
and what they call chunking doesn't let you get the data in chunks, it
actually just transfers a chunk into their transfer buffer.

While I have used libghttp for some stuff previously, it has little if any
documentation for any of the functions (it does have source;-).

> This was in May, is it still relevant?
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200105/msg01611.html

Yes, I think so....even though it is back in May. It seems I had it working
previously on woody though and I didn't upgrade my potato on this system until
early August. However, my configure.in was created with version 2.13 and I get
a message from autoheader, which is 2.13.

I don't mind updating my configure.in, just need to understand what I need to
change. I'll try digging around the web tonight, I need to pick my kids up
from school right now...

> BTW, I hate automake (not autoconf) and I think it shouldn't be used.
> But that's me.

I admit my ignorance to not even understanding them well enough. This is the
first thing I created that uses them, and my main objective was to be able to
configure the distribution for various different targets to use the gnu cross
compiler with, and it did handle that pretty good. It seemed that
automake/autoconf/libtool all worked together in this regard. How would I
elliminate automake out of the picture so this problem doesn't exist?

Thanks for the reply.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.