LinuxWorld.

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 18:47:29 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Alan DuBoff wrote:

> I might, depends on my schedule. I've been busy preparing for CES
> coming up before MacWorldExpo. Our radio won best of show for CES in
> Las Vegas this coming week.

You're not supposed to make those announcements until tomorrow. :)

But it IS cool.

> Apple seems to have missed the boat with OSX, IMO. I think they would
> have been better off using Debian as the base and port their GUI onto
> Linux, that would have helped everyone out.

What, and rewrite what they paid $300M for? Why? It's better than anything
out there, mostly because all of it is tied to poorly thought-out X-based
stuff. And, I might add, the NeXT interface was done before X was stable.
If it ever got to the point of "stable."

Better idea: create something that's open source a la helping out the
GnuSTEP project.

> As it is, OSX can't use the ports from FreeBSD or NetBSD as they
> modified the directory structures and kernel.

Wrong order: FreeBSD and NetBSD came *later*, not earlier.

New meme: Debian Darwin: because there's no reason not to.

> I've noticed that some packages are not available for ppc that are for
> intel on Debian though, but things look pretty good for ppc linux for
> me and everything seems to be working.

Well, I'm running Linux on x86.

> I need to get it working with the airport wireless if possible, I saw
> some info on the web to do that with a patch. Have you used that
> patch?

No, but I do use airport at home for my iBook.

> Battery life kicks @$$ on my PowerBook! I can certainly see why you
> like Apple hardware, it's nice stuff.

Very well-designed. Poorly documented for third parties alas.

--
_Deirdre      *      http://www.sfknit.org      *      http://www.deirdre.net
"We have an open door policy." -- Sheridan