LinuxWorld.

Alan DuBoff Alan DuBoff <maestro@SoftOrchestra.com>
Thu, 04 Jan 2001 20:36:04 +0000

Deirdre Saoirse wrote:

> Is anyone (else) going to MacWorldExpo, if only to taunt the YDL/LinuxPPC
> folk?

I might, depends on my schedule. I've been busy preparing for CES coming up
before MacWorldExpo. Our radio won best of show for CES in Las Vegas this
coming week.

I heard there will be an announcement from Apple involving our company at
MacWorldExpo.

> BTW, emperor (rebuild of adelie) is now running Debian. Woohoo!

I had a couple problems with broken packages on woody a couple weeks ago, but
everything has been fine for me for the past week or two. I must admit that
dselect did humble me, and saved me after I confirmed to apt-get that I knew
what the f#@$ I was doing when removing some packages...:-/

Apple seems to have missed the boat with OSX, IMO. I think they would have
been better off using Debian as the base and port their GUI onto Linux, that
would have helped everyone out. As it is, OSX can't use the ports from FreeBSD
or NetBSD as they modified the directory structures and kernel. I work with a
person that argued that exact cause to Apple a couple years ago, but got fed
up with Apple and left because they wouldn't listen to him. As it is, they
will be maintaining their kernel for OSX as it's different now, and there will
be little code that can be given back to the OpenSource community. It seems
like many folks loose in this scenario.

We just had one of the ppc kernel guys make some mods recently so changes
could be rolled back into the kernel for our specific ppc changes that were
breaking the kernel.

I've noticed that some packages are not available for ppc that are for intel
on Debian though, but things look pretty good for ppc linux for me and
everything seems to be working.

I need to get it working with the airport wireless if possible, I saw some
info on the web to do that with a patch. Have you used that patch?

Battery life kicks @$$ on my PowerBook! I can certainly see why you like Apple
hardware, it's nice stuff.

--

Alan DuBoff