Sun's use of GPL and/or debian source

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre@deirdre.net
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 13:31:40 -0700

At 1:22 PM -0700 8/17/01, Alan DuBoff wrote:
>I've given Apple's use of GPL code some thought previously, since their
>implimentation is quite different than Sun's, and in Apple's case it seems
>there was less seperation between the GPL and the system...but I only used the
>BETA of OSX and not the release, so I couldn't even begin to comment on what
>they delivered (although I imagine it's quite similar).

If you have specific questions, I can likely answer them as that's my
main OS (which I'm writing this email on).

Apple's MacOS X has a mix of some GPL, a lot of BSD and is, in
general, similar to FreeBSD in many respects. It has a proprietary
GUI layer however. The default compiler is GCC and the toolchain is
free software with proprietary GUI apps on top (for generating GUI
elements, etc.).
--
_Deirdre    Stash-o-Matic: http://fuzzyorange.com    http://deirdre.net