August meeting suggestion

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 02:17:43 -0700

D'oh!  I forgot completely about the recent but unfortunately
inconclusive discussion about August meeting venues.

Michael S. Fischer recommended the Steelhead Brewery (bar and grill) in
Burlingame.  Michael did not give location details.  They follow:

ADDRESS:  333 California Drive @ Burlingame Ave.
MAP: http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=333+California+Drive&csz=Burlingame+CA&Get%A0Map=Get+Map
By CalTrain:  It's right next to the Burlingame CalTrain station.
By Car:  Exit US-101 westbound on the Broadway Ave. exit, going about
         1/2 mile, to just over the railroad tracks, turning right
         (north) on California Avenue.  333 California is about a block
         ahead.

I do not know this establishment, and therefore don't know if it still
exists and has Wednesday hours.  I assume Michael has verified those
matters?

Deirdre recommended Scruffy Murpy's in Sunnyvale.  Deirdre did not give
location details.  They follow:

ADDRESS:  187 S. Murphy Ave. near E. Washington Ave. (Town Center).
MAP:  http://linuxmafia.com/bale/map-scruffymurphys.jpeg
By car: From US-101 or Central Expressway, take N. Mathilda Ave.
  southbound. Cross the railroad tracks, and immediately turn left (east)
  at the traffic light onto E. Washington Ave. Proceed four blocks to turn
  left (north) on S. Murphy Ave. Scruffy Murphy's is immediately ahead, on
  the left. There's parking behind the storefronts on both sides of S.
  Murphy Ave., as well as in the Macy's / Town Center parking lot across
  E. Washington Ave.
By Caltrain: The Sunnyvale station is right nearby.
By VTA Bus: Routes 26 Eastridge - Lockheed, 32 Santa Clara Caltrain -
  Mountain View, 53 Westgate - Sunnyvale, 54 West Valley College - Fair
  Oaks/Tasman , 56 Milpitas - Sunnyvale, and 140 Fremont BART - Sunnyvale
  (Express) all stop nearby.

I _do_ know Scruffy Murphy's.  It's a medium-sized Irish pub with a
large and usually uncrowded upstairs balcony area.  Food is quite decent
pub fare.  Groups should start no later than 7 PM, because live music or
dancing often starts downstairs at 8 or 8:30 PM, which is fun but can
make conversation difficult.  Service is a bit erratic.

(No, Misha, I have no idea if sub-21-year-old folk are welcome.  Since
you're motivated to find out, I assume you've looked them up and
telephoned them, right?)

There, now:  Y'all have three properly-described alternatives.  Pick one
-- or you'll be picking none by default.  (Remember:  This is for
Wednesday.)

--
Cheers,      "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first
Rick Moen     woman she meets, and then teams up with three complete strangers

begin  Rick Moen quotation: