Need advocate

David Schleef David Schleef <ds@schleef.org>
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 19:10:23 -0700

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 06:31:28PM -0700, Michael S. Fischer wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 06:06:31PM -0700, David Schleef wrote:
>
> > I'll talk down to you, because you are making it repeatedly clear
> > that you _haven't_ read the documentation.
>
> We can argue that point back and forth but we will get nowhere.  My
> understanding of policy is that I can perform an NMU if it's OK with the
> package maintainer, correct?

In the same section of policy, it lists 8 steps to do, _after_ which
is "probably OK to do an NMU".  As far as I can tell, you have not
made it past step 3.  It seems to be a little bit early to be
complaining about not being able to upload to master.  I'd bet
that the step where you ask the maintainer if it is OK to do an
upload will be the hard part, because he's going to say no.  This
is the part that is "custom" and not "policy" -- developers that
don't have a lot of experience (including myself) don't do NMUs, we
send patches to the bug database.

dave...