Need advocate

Michael S. Fischer michael@dynamine.net
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:31:28 -0700

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 06:06:31PM -0700, David Schleef wrote:

> I'll talk down to you, because you are making it repeatedly clear
> that you _haven't_ read the documentation.

We can argue that point back and forth but we will get nowhere.  My
understanding of policy is that I can perform an NMU if it's OK with the
package maintainer, correct?  This is what I am trying to achieve --
there's no point in asking permission if I don't have the status to
begin with, and that is why I was asking for help.

In either case, it still doesn't give you the right to talk down to me.

> > And what's with the collective attitude about bringing new developers
> > aboard?
>
> Debian has a certain set of customs that new developers need to
> get used to before they fit in.  Some learn quickly, others do
> not.  Some new developers seem to have the attitude "I'm going
> to change the world, so move out of my way."  I don't know any
> group where that attitude fits in.

My attitude is that I'm trying to help and you and Ivan are looking a gift
horse in the mouth by treating me disrespectfully.   This is free
labour, competent labour, with a high opportunity cost.  How can you
possibly advance the state with the sort of attitude you are expressing?

--
Michael S. Fischer / michael at dynamine.net / +1 650-533-4684
Lead Hacketeer, Dynamine Consulting, Silicon Valley, CA