Busybox

Chris Waters xtifr@dsp.net
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 00:37:46 -0700

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 11:35:25PM +0000, Alan DuBoff wrote:

> Bruce Perens came up with a great utility there, and a great concept of
> grabbing argv[0] to determine what is being called!

Bruce has done some great stuff, but checking argv[0] is a standard
*nix technique that dates back at least to the invention of vi (aka
ex).  It's used in everything from mtools to gzip these days.

I think it actually originated as a workaround for the lack of shared
libraries, back when *nixen didn't have shared libaries.

cheers