Busybox

Alan DuBoff maestro@SoftOrchestra.com
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 23:35:25 +0000

So, now that my email works on this list, I thought I would mention that I did
find out more about BusyBox and do understand what it is now.

I had previously seen it spittin' out errors on a Debian install and thought
that BusyBox was a small shell, with less features than bash, but now
understand that it is a group of tools that use symlinks to grab the program
being called so that it can execute it's own internally packaged code for that
given program (i.e., cat, grep, tar, etc...).

Bruce Perens came up with a great utility there, and a great concept of
grabbing argv[0] to determine what is being called!

I'm not sure if we had to modify it to run on our PowerPC processor or not,
but we are giving any changes that we have made to our kernel and/or tools on
our internet radio back to GPL for anything we that we did change.

BusyBox obviously was not my problem with process control, at least I don't
think so, haven't had time to research that, but would be really suprised if
it did cause any problem.

My hat is off to Bruce for coming up with that utiliity (I have seen him post
to this list), but don't see any traffic on the BusyBox mailing list at all,
so maybe it's defunct...

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.