child process using execl()

Alan DuBoff maestro@SoftOrchestra.com
Fri, 02 Jun 2000 00:34:42 -0700

Nathan Myers wrote:

> Alan DuBoff <maestro@SoftOrchestra.com> writes:
> > I'm trying to avoid system(), I had some of those in that were
> > giving me problems. I'm using the msgctl, msgsnd, msgrcv functions
> > for IPC between the parent and child, that seems to work ok...
>
> It's also worth noting that system() is unusable in any program
> that you want to be secure.  In particular, it's more work to make
> it secure than to do something else instead, and even then it's not.

Nathan,

I was having problems with the list, so I unsubscribed and subscribed
again...let's see if that helps things out...my replies to Chris seemed to go
off into the bit bucket on the bad end, and making it to Chris on the good end
(I guess that would be the good end, if it wasn't the bad end...).

In my case it probably doesn't matter, but it sure won't hurt me to keep
things secure!

The IPC is all working fine between the parent and the child, and it's not a
race conditions I don't think, since I've tried to make it retarded (i.e.,
adding delays between calls) and that didn't work!!!:-/

I was working on some other issues earlier today, or is that yesterday...all
the same I 'spose...but anyway, I was off doing some XML stuff...I'll revisit
this tomorrow.

I've got the Linux Application Development book that Chris mentioned (which
I've seen before), and I think I'll have to get the lion book as well (I'm a
colophon whore, let it be known!!!!;-).

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.