Bay Area transportation

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:29:49 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, David Bristel wrote:

> The area isn't all THAT bad, ...

Well, the graft and the politics make it problematic.

> At the least, there are connections from BART, to ACE, to light rail, to
> Caltrain.  It still needs a LOT of work, but it's MUCH more difficult to
> fix this sort of problem after an area has already "grown up".

BART has been around for more than 20 years. CalTrain is not new, having
been bought rather than constructed.

Quoting Dave Welton:
> > This whole area (the bay) has some serious problems, IMO.  Compared to
> > Portland, Oregon, where I previously lived, it seems like kind of a
> > dump.  Rampant corruption in politics, where money and influence reign
> > over what is right....

I agree, it is rather Chicago.

> > I'm also slightly disturbed by the way people deal with
> > money.  Sure there are plenty of wealthy people up there, but few seem
> > to flaunt it as is done here, with enormous houses, limos, very
> > expensive restaurants, bars, clubs...

New money always flaunts more than old money. Always has been true. I
think Nick Moffitt really said it well when he heard someone taking a limo
somewhere and he said, "how white trash."

Anyway, it's all a problem near and dear to my heart as I'm looking at
commuting into SF for a class for a few weeks....

--
_Deirdre   *   http://www.linuxcabal.net   *   http://www.deirdre.net
"Mars has been a tough target" -- Peter G. Neumann, Risks Digest Moderator