Potato install - package suggestions?

Alan DuBoff maestro@SoftOrchestra.com
Fri, 07 Apr 2000 17:00:41 +0000

Jim Franklin wrote:

> As an alernative to poring over
> /var/state/apt/lists, what I do is use ONLY the first three sections of
> dselect ( ACCESS, UPDATE, and SELECT) and while in SELECT check through
> the nicely organized list for the crucial apps I need and write them
> down.

I've not had to do that. I use a different approach, I go to the Debian
packages page and list ALL packages for the distro I've installed. I can then
search in the browser window and all packages are listed. apt-get what you
like and get dependancies with it.

I've recentely noticed on frozen that the kbd package will tell you that it is
held back, but if you install it again it pulls console-data which wasn't
installed. I think that is just a dependancy problem on install, not sure.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.