3Com 3c905C not recognized in Debian install

Alan DuBoff maestro@SoftOrchestra.com
Thu, 06 Apr 2000 17:02:53 +0000

Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Alan DuBoff (maestro@SoftOrchestra.com):
>
> > I'm using the slink-and-a-half CD that Joey and Sean created, and was also
> > trying to get a 3Com linux driver (was I suprised to see that 3Com supports
> > that driver somehow and help Becker with them (donations????? pay????). None
> > the less, it's good to see companies working to help Linux.
>
> Intending no disrespect for Joey and Sean's excellent work, at this late
> date, I would be tempted to start with the five installation floppies
> for potato, rather than slink-and-a-half -- especially where PCMCIA is
> concerned.

Well, the card should be supported on the slink-and-a-half CD as well. And the
odd thing is that PCMCIA worked beautiful for me.

On that CD, the 3c59x.o module is supposed to support the 3c905C card.

There is another driver from 3Com that I tried installing, a 3c905.o module,
but the date was off to match the kernel...so that didn't work too well as the
Debian installer threw it back at me with a kernel version mismatch.

> Give the potato installer a try.  I think you'll be impressed -- and
> much more likely to find your 3Com card supported.

I guess that could be worth a try...I'm using Red Hat right now as it is setup
and configured (well, not RIGHT now, I'm still at home doncha know...I don't
mosey into work until noon).

Any ideas on setting up DHCP from the install? I have the .deb package for
dhcpcd which will work, but only if the network card is there...hence why I
was trouble shooting the network card first...duh!

I can resort to another network card, or even move the current one into
another PCI slot and see if Debian recognizes it...at home I have all Intel
cards, and I can pick one up at Central if need be...(actually they can).

Floppies might be a solution if they would work, I guess your theory is that
the potato install is newer than the slink I'm using. Actually, I wouldn't be
suprised if the 905c module from 3Com was on there, it says it was GPL'd on
the 3Com website.

slink-and-a-half is what Scott McNiel put in the Debian box, if there is a
problem with the install, they should upgrade that since that is currently
what people will buy on the street.

Do you know, does the potato install have the 2.2.14 kernel that is in frozen?
slink-and-a-half had the 2.2.12 kernel. Looks like I should get a shower and
get into work so I can check that out (and listen to audio streams...and swear
at the RealAudio code which is a massive amount of c/c++).

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.