Bang for the Buck, comparing Celerons to Xeons (and PIIIs?)

Griffin McKinney kysh@blackwolf.com
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 00:42:29 -0700

As Alan DuBoff was saying:
> George Bonser wrote:
>
> > You are seeing the benefit of SMP. By specifying -j4 I am able to use both
> > processors.
>
> This has been very educational for me, since you really can't specify that
> type of parameter on Solaris.

Yes you can, as it's a make option and not a OS option. As with Solaris, it
doesn't matter how many processors you have, you can -j yourself until your
system dies.

Don't get me wrong, Solaris' SMP is absolutely awesome. Until you've seen an
E6k with a load average of 400+, and still decent responsiveness, you've never
seen performance. ;>

But -j is a make option, telling make how many concurrant jobs to run. The OS
takes care of the sequencing, if it can.

-Kysh

--
-> 1990 Black Kawasaki Ninja 750R with Red Trim ('Ssyhth') <street>
-> 1988 Black Kawasaki EX500 ('Yarf!') <race>