software needs your opinion

Matt Zimmerman mdz@csh.rit.edu
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 14:45:44 -0400

On Fri, Jul 16, 1999 at 10:42:22AM -0700, Robert Stone wrote:

> 	Quite a while ago I wrote a small perl script to help me figure
> out subnet masks and firewall rule masks.  The perl script was slow and
> kludgy, so I wrote it in C and changed the algorithm to do things right.
> 	I needed to figure out autoconf and automake, so I used this
> program as my test.  Over time I wrote a texinfo manual for it too.  At
> this point it has all the components in place for distribution, but
> the question is should I bother to release and maintain this code.  So,
> if you can take a look at it, and let me know if you'd use it, or have
> any ideas about it, let me know what you think.
>
> http://trap.mtview.ca.us/~talby/mask-2.1.tar.gz

Neato.  I had written a similar kludgy perl script, and use it frequently.
One capability it has that your program doesn't is the ability to output
an address or mask in binary (e.g. 11111111 11111111 11111111 11110000).
I find this helps me to get things right in my head when doing complex
mask operations.

Yes, I think it would be a worthwhile program, with or without the bonus
feature above, assuming that somebody else hasn't beaten you to it.  I
don't know of any equivalent, but I haven't really looked.

--
 - Matt