apt-get front end

George Bonser grep@shorelink.com
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 13:39:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Alan DuBoff wrote:

> After seeing/using gnome-apt, I don't think any non-GUI will make me happy.

I do not think apt-find is nearly as useful as dselect. I just used
gnome-apt for the first time but while it looks pretty, it is not as
useful to me as dselect.

After I update the local available list, I to browse through the
descriptions of newly available package. Dselect makes this very easy. In
is impossible with gnome-apt because you have no idea which packages got
updated. Dselect puts new packages and updates of installed packages right
at the top of the display with the description staring you right in the
face. I can arrow down the list looking at descriptions to see if anything
is interesting.

None of the replacements offer me this easy package browsing ... so I will
probably continue to use dselect for the forseeable future.