RMS will be 'round, Aug. 9 - 20

Alan DuBoff maestro@SoftOrchestra.com
Tue, 06 Jul 1999 02:47:14 -0700

Rick Moen wrote:

> I doubt that he's particularly aware that BAD exists.  Which you-all
> could remedy, if you so wish.

I'll let him know it exists.:-/

> One issue is that, having tried to set something up for RMS, I find
> him lobbying me to do other and additional things for him, such as
> conjure up a larger meeting space at a university, working with people,
> places, and situations unfamiliar to me, while (impliedly) retaining
> the same personal accountability as I would gladly bear for the
> arrangement I _did_ set up.
>
> So, I've been trying to let him know, in a graceful and gentle way,
> that, if he wants to do it his way, he can bloody well do it himself.
> However, that's not the part that's related to Bay Area Debian.  That
> was just my grumbling in the direction of you-all because you were
> handy.

I side with you on that, he's gonna have LinuxWorld where he can speak to a
large audience. I think he should talk to the Debian developers, aren't they
the core of what Stallman fights for? Let's face it, I think it's very dumb of
him not to speak to the SVLUG, it's the largest and most active LUG. Stallman
does have a good point, because on one hand there is no question that there is
a lot of GNU in Linux, nobody denies that. OTOH, the companies that are making
Linux popular are the very companies that Stallman has fought.

However, is that a reason to not speak to that group of people.

Let's say that BAD was to sponsor this so called FSF ralley.

Now, let's say that BAD was able to aquire the space over at Cisco. Seems like
Stallman wouldn't mind speaking to the Debian group, right? :-/

The only other place I can see that would make Stallman happy would be
Stanford Linier Autitorium, up on the hill. Isn't that where the Homebrew used
to meet? I wasn't around computers at that time, I was a musican.;-)

> My personal attitude is that, like him or hate him, he's been _damned_
> important to all of us -- one of the key people in software history --
> and I wouldn't miss a chance to hear and talk to him.  But your mileage
> may differ.

I agree, we owe a lot to him. I would have offered to let him stay at my house
if he didn't have a place to stay, no question. Funny, thinking about the
Homebrew, Stephen Levy's book, "The Hackers", was the first place I read about
the Homebrew, and Stallman for that matter. I lived in Japan at the time...

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.