RMS will be 'round, Aug. 9 - 20

Rick Moen rick@hugin.imat.com
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 02:02:41 -0700

Quoting Alan DuBoff (maestro@SoftOrchestra.com):

> I'm confused after reading your detailed post, what exactly about I'm
> not certain.
>
> Is it that Stallman needs a place to stay when he's here?

Nope.  He seems to have quite a list of places where he goes, including
the spare room upstairs at my building, between my apartment and Richard
Couture's (owner of The CoffeeNet, and my landlord).

> Is it that Stallman needs someone to take him to the dinners that you
> had been taking him to in the past?

Nope.  One suspects that he has a good list of Cantonese, Burmese, and
Hakka restaurants memorised for every city he visits, including S.F.,
and gets around by himself just fine, if need be.

> Does he want someone to tell him he would be welcomed to speak to BAD?

I doubt that he's particularly aware that BAD exists.  Which you-all
could remedy, if you so wish.

One issue is that, having tried to set something up for RMS, I find
him lobbying me to do other and additional things for him, such as
conjure up a larger meeting space at a university, working with people,
places, and situations unfamiliar to me, while (impliedly) retaining
the same personal accountability as I would gladly bear for the
arrangement I _did_ set up.

So, I've been trying to let him know, in a graceful and gentle way,
that, if he wants to do it his way, he can bloody well do it himself.
However, that's not the part that's related to Bay Area Debian.  That
was just my grumbling in the direction of you-all because you were
handy.

Where Bay Area Debian comes in is that, _if_ someone (apparently not me)
will be arranging a venue, BAD will (I assume) be a particularly welcome
part -- maybe a primary or even majority part -- of the audience.
Therefore, if you guys like that idea, now would be and extremely timely
occasion to tell (1) RMS and (2) the lug@cloud.ccsf.cc.ca.us mailing
list about that.

Which is to say, there's an opportunity for y'all to get together with
RMS.  If you want it to happen, great; if not, fine -- but please don't
wait for me to do it for you, because I'm on vacation from the
RMS-impresario business at the moment.

My personal attitude is that, like him or hate him, he's been _damned_
important to all of us -- one of the key people in software history --
and I wouldn't miss a chance to hear and talk to him.  But your mileage
may differ.

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!