I've learned my lesson...<sigh>

Alan DuBoff maestro@SoftOrchestra.com
Mon, 05 Jul 1999 21:29:41 -0700

Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting David Welton (davidw@master.debian.org):
>
> > dselect isn't that difficult for anyone familiar with DOS/unixish
> > character based programs, IMO.
>
> The primary pitfall strikes those whose Linux experience tempts them to
> do a "kitchen sink" installation -- which describes many Linux
> sysadmins, these days.  They get caught in cycles of dependencies
> problems.  That was my initial problem (along with being in a rush, and
> inadequate attention to the matter), and I've seen others snagged by it,
> too.

In my case I had a stripped down install to start with, but then when I tried
to use dselect to install several tools, I ended up in the above circular
motions trying to get dependencies resolved. I can't remember specifically,
but I was tryign to install some compilers, script langs, xfree86, gnome, e,
etc...

There are some things that I really like about Debian. As an example, my
Netscape browser is not all cluttered up with garbage I need to delete, like
channels and other garbage on the personal toolbar. It does have a Debian
folder off the personal toolbar, and I find that useful.

In many ways I view Debian as being a stripped down install, and then you go
and add the packages you like to it. Rather than Red Hat where most people
take the entire distrobution.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.