where is the most up-to-date debian archive?

Chris Waters xtifr@dsp.net
26 Aug 1999 15:02:19 -0700

Jim Franklin <jfranklin@etworld.com> writes:

> Hi folks,
>   I was wondering which debian archive is the most up to date.  I
> recently was having trouble connecting to us.debian.org and potato

I'm not sure about us.debian.org itself, but http.us.debian.org is
supposedly a round-robin[1] of push mirrors.  Thus, the fact that you
have problems on one attempt doesn't mean there'll be a problem the
next time you try.  I've had occasional problems with
http.us.debian.org, but if I abort and retry it seems to work.

Any *specific* site may have down-time, which is why I prefer to
continue using http.us.debian.org myself.  That way, I don't have to
edit sources.list if I hit a problem site -- I can just retry.

cheers

[1] or something -- technically, "round-robin" is a specific
algorithm, but it is colloquially used for a number of rotation
algorithms which aren't actually round-robins.