SEC & Etrade

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 23:00:03 -0700

Deirdre Saoirse writes:

> On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, David Welton wrote:
>
> > Not terribly relevant to Debian, the bay area or much of anything, but
> > someone at the Debian dinner had info on the way to file a complaint
> > with the SEC about etrade.  I'd like that information...
>
> Prior to the IPO, I opened a case with the SF branch of the SEC. If
> anyone's interested, I can give you the name of the person assigned to the
> case.
>
> Last night I was talking to Richard Stallman, who said that he couldn't
> have signed up with E-Trade using non-free software so he wouldn't take
> advantage of the offer he received...which he wouldn't have gotten without
> so much free software being a part of Red Hat's distro....

RMS apparently doesn't use much crypto, because very few useful crypto
packages are available as free software in the US (he noted that
Netscape Navigator isn't free software).

lynx-ssl would do what he wants, but is not supposed to be used within
the US.

--
                    Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org>
      They said look at the light we're giving you,  /  And the darkness