Circular init on SCSI adapter

Alan DuBoff maestro@SoftOrchestra.com
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:20:58 -0700

I have a machine I want to run potato on and I want to install hamm or slink,
it doesn't really matter to me as I'll be updating it over the DSL connection
to potato.

When I start the install it will start to initialize the Symbios 895 card and
then get into a cirular init, where it continues to try and init the adapter.

The odd thing is that I can install both Red Hat 6.0 on it, as well as Solaris
x86, and they don't seem to have this problem, *BUT*, I want to run Debian
potato on it.

In looking over the documentation online, it seemed at first that I could
build a minimal boot disk, similar to the tecra one, but I don't think that
would work for me, since I do need adapters that will not be on a tecra, such
as my SCSI adapter.

In looking over the files on the floppy, I see there is a line to append
options to the boot command line when the install starts, so I'm thinking I
might need to either add something to syslinux.cfg or type something on the
command line at boot.

Anybody see this problem before?

Anybody know how to get around this?

--