linuxworld (long)

Joey Hess joey@kitenet.net
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 23:29:03 -0700

Ok folks, linuxworld starts on the 10th. We have one week before the show.
This mail is a brain-dump of everything I've arranged. Read it all. :-)

The booth:
	Linuxworld is giving us a free 10x10 booth in their ".org pavilion".
	The pavilion has a theme -- in linuxworld's own words: "think Austin
	Powers meets Donna Summer meets the Partridge Family -- without being
	tacky!" Eep. This also comes with the following:
	  - carpet
	  - bubble couch (6 ft long)
 	  - coffee table (6 ft long)
	  - bubble chair
	  - electricity
	  - internet, 1 IP
	  - sign (with logo)
	So this is going to be a little weird. The best layout I've thought
	of is to leave the furniture as-is, and add some end tables with
	computers on them. Those are the one peice of furniture I'm missing,
	and I'll bet some people can pull some tables like this out of their
	own living room -- if so, please tell me.

	With any luck, we will also get some sort of display with our logo
	on it for the booth. I'm talking to some people about this.

	I'd also love to have a world map with developers indicated by
	pushpins like the one here:
	  http://www.debian.org/~jgoerzen/lexpo-photos/thursday/Image16.jpg
	I may not have time to make it, so tell me if you want to.

	Our booth is number 1340.

Shifts:
	The expo runs for 3 days, tuesday, wednesday, and thursday. I need
	people manning the booth each day. This time I want to try half-day
	shifts. Mail me privatly and tell me what shift(s)
	which day(s) you would like to help. Give me a prioritized list of
	shifts and tell me how many shifts you want. While you're at it,
	mail me your phone number.

	The shifts are:
		a. August 10th, 9:30 am to 1 pm
		b. August 10th, 1 pm to 6 pm
		c. August 11th, 9:30 am to 1 pm
		d. August 11th, 1 pm to 6 pm
		e. August 12th, 9:30 am to 1 pm
		f. August 12th, 1 pm to 6 pm

	Shift f. includes two hours of teardown (the show ends at 4 that day).
	I also need people to help with setup on August 8th, from 1 to 5 pm,
	and on August 9th, from 10 am until we're done. Mail me if you can
	help with either.

Badges:
	If you are in the cc list of this email, you should have an
	exhibitor's badge waiting for you when you arrive at the show.

	Due to the SNAFU with my linux box, I wasn't able to get at my list
	of some people who had asked for badges. These are:

		Jonathan Walther, Aaron Van Couwenberghe, Rafael Laboissiere,
		David Bristel, raymond ferrari, Alan DuBoff, Robert Stone,
		Lisa Mack

	I'm very sorry about this stupid mixup. I will try on Monday to get
	one last set of requests in and get this straightened out, but I
	fear I'm trying linuxworld's patience..

Hardware:
	* Sun is loaning us an ultra5 w/o debian installed on it.
	* Leave your keyboards home, we will have 3 happy hacker kb's that
	  are donated to debian if we use them during the show.
	* VA will fill in any gaps in the hardware. At least a couple of boxes
	  from them.
	* We may have an alpha lent to us as well.

	Since we have so much hardware being lent, please only bring in
	exotic hardware -- other arches especially. Laptops are also good to
	bring. I'm also looking for someone with a digital camera so we can
	send out some pictures to debianiztes elsewhere.

Stuff to give out:
	* Darren Benham has made a ton of shirts and around 75 hats, with
	  the debian logo on them. We will give them away with a $5
	  suggested donation to Debian, which exactly covers the cost of
	  making them.
	* Linuxcentral is donating a bunch of CD's.

	We need some basic brochures/pamphlets to give out. Could someone
	please do this?

Housing and travel:
	If you need housing, Christoph Lameter <christoph@lameter.org> has a
	spare room.