meeting summary

Rick Moen rick@hugin.imat.com
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 01:57:37 -0700

Quoting Joey Hess (joey@kitenet.net):

> Two people installed debian for the first time at the meeting, and a lot of
> the people there were interested in or already using debian (interestingly,
> Richard Couture, who runs the CoffeeNet, mentioned to me he's getting tired
> of running it on redhat and may switch over to debian eventually.

To explain, Richard runs The CoffeeNet on what he calls the "MNRC"
distribution (Michael Nelson - Richard Couture), something that back
in the mists of time started out as Red Hat 3.0.3 for Intel, and then
had all the binaries and much of the filesystem layout gradually
replaced from source tarballs.  The system actually bears no resemblance
to Red Hat; it's a question of ancestry.

Thus, what Richard has in mind is a new _foundation_ for a
next-generation MNRC distribution.  He is considering using Debian 2.1
as a point of departure for MNRC 3.0.

MNRC 2.0 (server and workstation variants) is also installed in other
places around San Francisco, notably in the computer labs at City
College of San Francisco.

> We also have a standing invitation from the Cabal to hold BAD meetings in
> their space.

See http://www.linuxcabal.org/.  It's a long story, but this is a
cooperative of several people to run a co-hosting facility, in what used
to be Don Marti's / Electric Lichen's office space.  Linux Cabal allows
CABAL (Consortium of All Bay Area Linux) to hold its twice-monthly
meetings in that office, and that's what Joey attended, this past
evening.

You-all would be a welcome addition.  I might even bring down Red Tail
Ale again.

--
Cheers,              "By reading this sentence, you agree to be bound by the
Rick Moen             terms of the Internet Protocol, version 4, or, at your