SVLUG meeting and RMS

Joey Hess joey@kitenet.net
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 12:35:01 -0800

Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
> After I left the meeting a question popped up in my head.  When was the
> BSD License created?  If it was *before* the GPL, what did RMS have
> against the BSD License?  Did the BSD effort in UCB precede the creation
> of GNU?

Actually, RMS talked specifically about his problems with the BSD license -
he used X as an example and talked about how proprietary enhancements have
been made to it (think Metro X), that are not contributed back to the
community. BSD allows that (I've heard rumors that NT uses a BSD network
stack :-), GPL does not.

I don't know the chronology, though.

--
see shy jo