ANNOUNCEMENT: Bay Area Debian (BAD) meeting + keysigning 2018-10-10 7pm @ Henry's, 110 Natoma, SF

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 8 14:09:29 PDT 2018

> Keysigning - yes, always welcome.  We'll try to mostly do the keysigning
> towards the start of the meeting (less disruptive to later dining, also
> easier for folks that may be mostly or only interested in the keysigning
> or might come from Ubuntu Hour to BAD just for the keysigning).

If unfamiliar with GnuPG keysignings, please see:
https://wiki.debian.org/Keysigning

On that Debian wiki page, these are essential steps _prior_ to the keysigning:

  Step 1: Create an RSA keypair:
  $ gpg --gen-key

(If you don't already have one.)

  Step 4: Print your key

  The printout of your fingerprint must contain the following information:

  o Your first name
  o Your last name
  o Your e-mail addresses (the ones you use with the key)
  o The encryption method and the ID of the key (e.g.
    4096R/1A2B3C4D5E6F7G8H)
  o The fingerprint itself

  You can use this function :

  $ gpg -v --fingerprint 1A2B3C4D5E6F7G8H
  [...]

(Lots more detail at link.)

At the keysigning (as described on the wiki page), people who would sign
your key -- which, for Debian internal purposes needs to include at
least one Debian developer -- will need to examine some form of reliable
photo ID, such as a driver's licence or passport.  Bring enough printouts
(Step 4) to hand out.

Back in the 2000s, I was event coordinator for a bunch of Bay Area
keysignings, following Keysigning Party HOWTO's protocol detailed here:
https://cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/keysigning_party/en/keysigning_party.html
http://www.penlug.org/foswiki/bin/view/Main/KeySigning
http://linuxmafia.com/gpg/party-page-2004-09.html
http://linuxmafia.com/gpg/

I'm so behind the times, I have only a 1024-bit DSA key.

  $ gpg --fingerprint
  rick at linuxmafia.com
  pub   1024D/6E03C0E3 2000-08-10
        Key fingerprint = 8844 D2FC AF0F 7D40 27F6  5EC5 10E4 9C93 6E03 C0E3
  uid                  Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
  sub   1024g/FC2DDC3B 2000-08-10
  $

So, maybe I should fix that.  (The prevailing standard and modern GnuPG
default is 2048-bit RSA.)

On the bright side, it's a really widely signed 1024-bit DSA key.
Back in the day, we used to joke about 'Six Degrees of Ted T'so.'