Recap of Debian and F/OSS-related Deaths

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jan 3 23:20:20 PST 2016

Quoting GoOSSBears (acohen36 at linuxwaves.com):

> I can attest that Ian M's presentation was certainly very-well
> attended by many Debian and F/OSS people, having attended this myself.
> IIRC and IMHO, during the general time-period of Ian M's speech here
> in the Bay Area, Debian [GNU]/Linux was much less Ubuntified (~=
> _heavily_ Ubuntu-influenced by Canonical Ltd and its
> official/unofficial local "community" advocates at LUGs, installfests,
> blogs,... etc) than afterwards up to the present.

Aaron, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but what you call
'heavily Ubuntu-influenced' just means IMO a great deal of fairly
insultingly obvious marketing noise for commercial firm (Canonical,
Ltd.) and for a set of distros that does absolutely everything _way_
less wall, than, for example, Linux Mint does, even for extremely novice
users.

That firm and its one-true-religion cheerleaders have had, frankly, a
pretty abysmal presence in the 'community'[1], and nobody who's been around
the open source community for any significant amount of time has been
fooled by this salesmanship with little substance behind it.  Which, by
the way, has gotten old.

(I'm sure you didn't mean to step into this, I'm sure, but hey, you did.)

[1] And don't get me started on the so-called 'Contributor License
Agreement' and other special pleading for proprietary advantage.  I
could rant all day about insultingly obvious con-jobs by the SABDFL and
other corporate mouthpieces.  You wouldn't enjoy that, and neither would I.