Wheezy safety net, just in case...

GoOSSBears acohen36 at linuxwaves.com
Sun May 3 14:39:52 PDT 2015

Fallback to Wheezy.

While it's certainly nice that the latest-and-greatest Debian Stable 8.0 "Jessie" is out[1], perhaps an admittedly few of you would like to know about what is happening with the old Debian Stable 7.x "Wheezy".
I don't know, maybe because 1) you'd rather avoid "point-oh" version (e.g., 8.0.x) distro releases no matter how stable others keep adamantly claiming the "point-oh" really is?  Or maybe 2) you just don't want / can't use  what 8.0 Jessie has (e.g., the systemd init or another make-or-break?)

Whatever the case, here is some useful info for those of you/us sticking with the old Debian Stable Wheezy 7.x for the time-being:

A. There is the 'Debian “wheezy” Release Information' link[2], which shows that the old Debian Stable wheezy is currently at version 7.8.

B. There is the 'Installing Debian 7.8' link[3] which at the present time adamantly insists:
"Debian 7 has been superseded by Debian 8 ("jessie"). Some of these installation images may no longer be available, or may no longer work, and you are recommended to install jessie instead."

C. There is the 'Debian Long Term Support (LTS)' link[4] which describes Debian versions' timecourse as follows:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ quoting ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Debian Long Term Support (LTS) is a project to extend the lifetime of all Debian stable releases to (at least) 5 years. Debian LTS will not be handled by the Debian security team, but by a separate group of volunteers and companies interested in making it a success (with some overlap in people involved).

Thus the Debian LTS team takes over security maintenance of the various releases once the Debian Security team stops its work. The team will thus handle:

- Debian 6 “Squeeze” until February 2016
- Debian 7 “Wheezy” from February 2016 to May 2018
- Debian 8 “Jessie“ from May 2018 to April/May 2020

>From this last link[4], those of you/us who wish to/need to stick with the old Debian Stable Wheezy 7.x can be a bit reassured that this will be maintained for ~ another 3 yrs :-)

Hope that this help a few of you.
Cheers!

--