Here we go: devuan

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat Nov 29 16:01:32 PST 2014

Yes.  But not planning to switch anytime soon.
The installed base and number of distributions based
upon devuan is thus far a quite low number.
Keyring for devuan is also rather sparse so far.

Not all forks succeed - especially longer term
(and some also later merge).
But if nothing else, forks often provide useful
feedback/pressure to address whatever issues may
have caused the fork to start with.

Who knows, maybe this will turn out like some other
operating systems and folks will mostly just skip one
major version/release because they found it not
sufficiently acceptable for that version/release.

We shall see.  No shortage of major differences
of opinions ... and even "battle lines" - among
various different init systems.  What I keep
wondering (and mentioned it at last BAD meeting),
is what will this init stuff look like 5 to 10
years down the road - after all the dust has
settled?