MATE 1.8 has now fully arrived in Debian

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Wed Jun 11 16:10:06 PDT 2014

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 09:55:50 -0700
aaronco36 <aaronco36 at linuxwaves.com> wrote:

+A+> The MATE desktop environment is a fork of what was formerly known
+A+> as the GNOME v2 desktop environment. The MATE upstream developers
+A+> have performed a really good job in integrating the old GNOME code
+A+> with latest technologies like DConf an GSettings. The next upcoming
+A+> release of MATE (which will be the 1.10 series) will also have GTK3
+A+> support (if things go well!). During the last 6 months several
+A+> people have worked on the provisioning of MATE packages in Debian.

Not to pour on the parade ... but the "latest technologies" are exactly
why I _won't_ try this environment, even though I was initially somewhat
interested.