airWire - "Wireless 10/100 Ethernet Cable", free to Debian Developer or ...

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Feb 12 23:51:34 PST 2013

> So is this essentially an access point plus a wifi-to-ethernet bridge?

I really don't know.  Literally, I've not opened the seal(s) on the box.
STFW ;-)
As far as I can tell, there's much more information about it to be
found on The Internet and the manufacturer's site, than is printed on
the box (or visible through the bit of clear plastic on the box).  As
far as I can gather, per post on vendor's site, looks like it does WAP2
encryption, though encryption isn't even mentioned on the box.  The
devices (pair) have Ethernet ports, or perhaps PoE - guessing from
description on the box.  Wi-Fi?  Possibly, but I rather doubt it.  I'm
guestimating more something in the 5 GHz range that just happens to use
a WAP2 encryption layer.  Anyway, manufacturer's web site says a bit
more about the technology - and so does the box.  Zero mention of Wi-Fi
that I've found there, but it does mention, e.g.:
100+ meters
300Mbps+
"AirMax, developed by Ubiquiti, is a Revolutionary MIMO TDMA Protocol
System originally designed for our carrier class outdoor wireless
equipment used by governments," ... "has been integrated into AirWire"

"Hopefully the descriptions are adequate and there's no particular need
for me to answer additional question(s) about the item(s)."  :-)

references/excerpts:
http://www.rawbw.com/~mp/giveaways/
http://bad.debian.net/list/2013-February/003529.html