Bay Area Debian (BAD) meeting 2012-05-09 Oakland (rather near UDS) (Michael Paoli)

GoOSSBears acohen36 at linuxwaves.com
Wed Apr 25 20:38:08 PDT 2012

-- start quote --
ANNOUNCEMENT - Bay Area Debian (BAD) meeting 2012-05-09 Oakland
(rather near UDS)

pre-meeting keysinging (approximately 6:05-6:45 p.m. by UDS - see further
below), and ...

Bay Area Debian (BAD) meeting
Legendary Palace (restaurant)
708 Franklin St. (between 7th St & 8th St)
Oakland, CA 94607-3932
1-510-663-9188
"Close enough" (within a few blocks) to be rather convenient (quite
walkable) from the Ubuntu Developer Summit (UDS - http://uds.ubuntu.com/),
downtown Oakland, BART (5 minute walk from 11th St. exit of the 12th St.
BART station exit), AC transit (numerous routes on Broadway), Oakland Ferry
Terminal (13 minute walk, or about 8 minutes by bus), etc., yet
"far enough" ;-) away, to not be overrun with UDS attendees....
-- finish quote --

With the Bay Area Debian group's perceptual emphasis on Ubuntu -- as evidenced by the contents of just this snipper alone -- I'm wondering why a more accurately revised name shouldn't be the Bay Area UBUNTU/Debian group, i.e., BAUD??
(BAUD not to be confused with the old analog-modem measurement of signals-per-second)

IIRC,
1) There ARE popular forms of Debian rather than solely Ubuntu, e.g., the parent distro Debian GNU/Linux and its various forms (Stable, Testing, Experimental), Crunchbang Linux, Bodhi Linux, Linux Mint, ... etcetera.
2) The Ubuntu California team DOES host its occasional 2nd Wednesday of the month Ubuntu hour for Ubuntu aficionados.
3) Even as you all read this, the Ubuntu California team IS actively promoting its very own Precise Pangolin Release Party for Thursday (see http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-california/1615/detail/ ).
4) The very same day of the above-proposed "Debian" meeting, on May 9th, the Ubuntu California team is planning its OWN Ubuntu-related event for UDS'ers (see http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-california/1619/detail/ ).

Again, the point I'm making is that there seems to be an emphasis on the _UBUNTU_ form of Debian within announcements such as this May 9th BA"D" meeting, and therefore the name of this group (I propose BAUD here) might do well to more accurately portray this emphasis.

Thanks,
-A

--
Go Open Source Software Bears!