BALUG Tu 2011-05-17: Cloud.com's Mark Hinkle, VP of Community, on: Open Source Solutions for Building and Deploying Private and Public Clouds & other BALUG news

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri May 13 06:41:35 PDT 2011

In this issue (details further below):

2011-05-17: Cloud.com's Mark Hinkle, VP of Community, on: Open Source
     Solutions for Building and Deploying Private and Public Clouds

"Slides" from 2011-04-19 BALUG meetnig:
     GlusterFS - Petascale Cloud Filesystem, Anand Babu (AB) Periasamy,
     CTO Gluster

------------------------------

Bay Area Linux User Group (BALUG) meeting
Tuesday 6:30 P.M. 2011-05-17

Please RSVP if you're planning to come (see further below).

For our Tuesday 6:30 P.M. 2011-05-17 meeting, we're proud to present:

Cloud.com[1]'s Mark Hinkle, VP of Community, on:
Open Source Solutions for Building and Deploying Private and Public
Clouds

As cloud computing has moved beyond hype, becoming a true
enterprise-ready tool that cuts IT costs and fits a variety of use
cases, IT is seeking new ways to efficiently and cost-effectively
build, deploy and manage clouds. Cloud.com's CloudStack Community
Edition, available under the GPLv3 license, is an open sourced
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) software platform that simplifies
the creation and management of public and private clouds. This platform
seamlessly integrates with existing data center infrastructure without
the need for modifications, special-purpose hardware or
reconfiguration, making it possible for users to instantly realize the
benefits of the cloud.

CloudStack Community Edition delivers several benefits including:

o Massive computing power - providing virtually unlimited CPUs
   on-demand, as required and billed by actual usage in public, private
   or hybrid deployments.
o Powerful API - Easily build, integrate and use applications based on
   common cloud APIs like Amazon's Web Services API, Citrix Cloud CenterT
   (C3) API and the vCloud API
o Secure Cloud Computing - Isolating compute, network, and storage
   resources by user, location and deployment.
o Comprehensive Service Management - Defining, metering, deploying and
   managing services to be consumed within your cloud.
o Automated resource distribution - delivering capabilities to automate
   the distribution of compute, network and storage while adhering to
   defined policies on load balancing, data security and compliance.
o Real-time visibility and reporting capabilities - ensuring compliance,
   security and comprehensive metering customer usage.
o Simplified management - empowering administrators to offset the daily
   management of services to the end users with a powerful self-service
   portal that gives the day-to-day management tasks to the user,
   enabling administrators to focus on more business critical issues
   while giving the client more control and agility over the service by
   providing a catalog of custom built and pre-defined machine images.

This session will provide best practices for building clouds, and a
technical overview and demonstration of CloudStack.

Mark Hinkle is Cloud.com's Vice President of Community where he is
responsible for driving all of the community efforts around the
Cloud.com's leading open source, cloud computing software and
ecosystem. Before that he was the force behind the Zenoss Core open
source management projects adoption and community involvement, growing
community membership to over 100,000 members.  He is a co-founder of
both the Open Source Management Consortium and the Desktop Linux
Consortium, has served as Editor-in-Chief for both LinuxWorld Magazine
and Enterprise Open Source Magazine, and authored the book, "Windows to
Linux Business Desktop Migration" (Thomson, 2006). Mark has also held
executive positions at a number of technology start-ups, including
Earthlink, (previously MindSpring)--where he was the head of the
technical support organization recognized by PC Computing and PC World
as the best in the industry--Win4Lin and Emu Software.

1. http://www.cloud.com/

See also a bit further below for some additional goodies we'll have at
this meeting (CDs, etc.)

So, if you'd like to join us please RSVP to:

                       rsvp at balug.org

**Why RSVP??**

Well, don't worry we won't turn you away, but the RSVPs really help the
Four Seas Restaurant plan the meal and dining arrangements and such.
We've also tweaked our "door prize" / giveaway practices a bit - so
RSVPing and arriving sufficiently on time increases one's odds of
winning door prize(s) and/or getting first or earlier pick of giveaway
items.

Meeting Details...

                       6:30pm
                       Tuesday, May 17th, 2011 2011-05-17

                       Four Seas Restaurant http://www.fourseasr.com/
                       731 Grant Ave.
                       San Francisco, CA 94108
                       Easy PARKING:
                         Portsmouth Square Garage at 733 Kearny:
                         http://www.sfpsg.com/

Cost: The meetings are always free, but for dinner, for your gift of $13
       cash, we give you a gift of dinner - joining us for a yummy
       family-style Chinese dinner - tax and tip included (your gift
       also helps in our patronizing the restaurant venue and helping
       to defray BALUG costs such treating our speakers to dinner).

Additional goodies we'll have at this meeting (at least the following):

CDs, etc. - have a peek here:
http://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:cds_and_images_etc
We do also have some additional give-away items, and may have
"door prizes".

"Slides" from 2011-04-19 BALUG meetnig:
GlusterFS - Petascale Cloud Filesystem, Anand Babu (AB) Periasamy, CTO Gluster
see:
http://www.archive.balug.org/2011/2011-04-19/GlusterFS%20-%20Petascale%20Cloud%20Filesystem.pdf

Feedback on our publicity/announcements (e.g. contacts or lists where we
should get our information out that we're not presently reaching, or
things we should do differently): publicity-feedback at balug.org