is this also true for Debian (+/- Kubuntu) ? (Ubuntu init system, etc.)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Jan 19 22:12:17 PST 2009

Well, Debian 4.0 uses a relativley System V / LSB - ish style
of init.  Debian's init system is very well documented in
Debian policy and the like (also quite well documented in the
package(s) including and/or associated with the init system).

I'm not sure precisely what's in store for Lenny, but I'd imagine if
things were changing dramatically there, it would be suitably mentioned
in policy, and release notes.  I many not be very much on top of Lenny
developments, but I don't recall having seen or heard of such a major
init change in Debian (though there may be packages that allow
variations, extentions, and/or alternative init systems).

Kubuntu?  A bit out-of-scope for BAD ;-) ... but I'd guestimate it'd
be whatever Ubuntu has, less Gnome, plus KDE ... so, probably about the
same as Ubuntu regarding init ... but that's just my guess ... some
Kubuntu or Ubuntu forum may give one a better answer on that.

Init systems and all that jazz ... I did not all that long ago
write a wee bit of opinion on that:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2008q4/005847.html