ANNOUNCEMENT- BAD MEETING Sat June 7 Berkeley, & call4 Speakers

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Fri May 30 03:19:51 PDT 2008

===== WHAT
In the spirit of the Shotgun rules,
I'M VIOLATING RULE # 1
(oh, and some others too, probably),
since there hasn't been an official shotgunned BAD meeting since last
Dec,
and I'm calling a BAD meeting for Sat June 7, 12N-6PM.

===== WHERE
WE WILL MEET in Berkeley, California, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way,
[Exact location ToBeDetermined, (in Berkeley, not the galaxy, etc.).
I'm trying to arrange it on the UCBerkeley campus or nearby,
I'll do a follow up post to this BAD list when location is finalized].

DIRECTIONS (Tentative):
CAR:    80 Freeway to Berkeley, University Ave. exit, up University to
UCB.
BART:   Berkeley Downtown exit.
BIKE:   Bike to UCB.
FLYING CAR:     If you've got a flying car,
   & you can't figure out how to get to UCB, you have got big problems.

===== The BSD/GNULinux INSTALLFEST TALKS POTLUCK (ITP)
This BAD meeting will be co-incident with the FIRST meeting of the
BSD/GNULinux Installfest Talks Potluck event (ITP)
that I am organizing.

I've included the basic ITP description info below in this message,
and here is a link:
Berkeley Installfest, Talks, Potluck- 1) Structure
http://www.weak.org/pipermail/buug/2008-May/003035.html

Basically, the ITP will hopefully be a monthly recurring event,
on the first Saturday of the month, about 6+ hours long,
and will have 3 parallel events:
1) Installfest
2) Talks
3) Putluck

I'm organizing the ITP through the buug.org mailing list.
http://buug.org/

===== PLEASE RSVP % (Thank you.)
The RSVP % is a probability of attendance RSVP.

I strongly encourage you to JOIN THE BUUG.ORG MAILING LIST,
http://www.weak.org/mailman/listinfo/buug
and then SEND AN RSVP % message TO THE BUUG LIST (ThankYou).
Doing that will greatly help all ITP attendees get an idea how
attendance for that event is progressing. It would be informative if you
include in your RSVP% that you are coming for BAD, or because you heard
about the ITP on BAD.

Berk InstFest Talks Potluck- 2) Please RSVP %
http://www.weak.org/pipermail/buug/2008-May/003036.html
080607 RSVP=100% - That's all there is to doing the RSVP, folks.
http://www.weak.org/pipermail/buug/2008-May/003041.html

=============================
===== CALL FOR SPEAKERS =====
For the Talks part of the ITP, (and the BAD meeting for that matter)
I hereby make a call for speakers.

I'm especially interested in having someone give a talk on
HOW UBUNTU 08.04 DIFFERS FROM DEBIAN.

This talk would be, at your choosing, anywhere from 15min to 1 hr.

It could be a panel talk - & speakers could talk about what they know
best.

I'd especially like to hear what from Debian Ubuntu modifies. IIRC there
was something about Python scripts, using python to controll something,
etc.

Also, if you would like to give a talk on anything else BSD/GNULinux
FOSS, Debian or otherwise, please email us on the buug.org list with
your suggestions. I/we are open to anything attendees at ITP might be
interested in.

THE WAY TALKS WILL WORK:
BEFORE THE MEETING:
ATTENDEES will message the list with talk subjects they'd like to hear.
POTENTIAL SPEAKERS will message the list with talk subjects they are
willing to give.

AT THE MEETING: There will be a timeslot sign up sheet, and anyone who
can get one or more attendees to be an audience member for their talk
can sign up for a time slot. At the time slot, attendees are free to
attend the talks.  Ie, it's very open & free form. Ultimately, I'd hope
the ITP would have from 4-8 talks, of lengths from 15m to 1 hr.  Please
monitor the buug list for SPEAKERS/TALKS to monitor how progress is
going.

Since this is only one week's advance notice, I'm not expecting the talk
should be super fine & polished.  This is just for a small, informal
group of people, so if you _are_ about to talk about all _or part_ of
the Debian/Ubuntu subject matter, please let us know. Point - we'll be
very happy to have a rough edged talk that contains important
information, & the talk doesn't have to be fine polished.  So please
volunteer to talk if you can. Thank you.

===== THANKS, & HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE
That's the end of my BAD meeting call.
Below is some reference material & links, so all the basic info is
included in this one email message.

Thanks. I hope to see you there.

===== From: Berkeley Installfest, Talks, Potluck- 1) Structure
http://www.weak.org/pipermail/buug/2008-May/003035.html

The plan would be to hold a get together each month on the first
Saturday (or maybe Sunday?), perhaps 12N-6PM. In Berkeley.

It should be a fun & educational & productive & social event.

It would have 3 parts that run in parallel time:
1) Installfest - new & experienced users welcome.
2) Talks (perhaps four to six talks of 15min to 1hr each
   about Distros, Kernel, Hardware, ApplicationSW, Programming, etc)
3) PotLuck - bring some food, maybe barbecue, talk about whatever.

Maybe we could video stream the talks to other groups around the world
who could hold similar events in their locality.

For the 1st meeting (tentatively June 7 Sat) some talk possibilities
are:
1) Difference between Ubuntu8.4 & Debian
2) OLPC - Sugar OS project
3) Google Summer of Code - how you can help
4) PGP & personal keysigning
5) Mozilla 3 - the beta's features & how to help
  - the "show me the code" session?
6) Python08 conference highlights
7) LinuxPicnic (in SiValley) preparations/planning/how to help

=====From: Berk InstFest Talks Potluck- 2) Please RSVP %
http://www.weak.org/pipermail/buug/2008-May/003036.html

If you think you at least _might_ come to the BITP,
please reply to this message
stating your best current estimate
of the probability you'd attend on Saturday Jun 7,
using probability of 25 50 75 or 100 %,
& PUT your % # IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF THE MESSAGE. (Thankyou)

(Equation between probability % and english language concepts:
25  = small possibility
50  = maybe
75  = more likely than not
100 = definitely )

This will help us as a guide to determining event planning.

  john_re at fastmail.us

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - And now for something completely different