Eric Allman at BALUG 2008-04-15!, and other BALUG News

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 11 06:31:55 PDT 2008

Eric Allman at BALUG 2008-04-15!, and other BALUG News

Contents:
* Eric Allman at BALUG 2008-04-15!
* Additional upcoming BALUG meeting dates and speakers
* Contacts, etc.

------------------------------

For BALUG[0]'s 2008-04-15 meeting we are proud to present:

Eric Allman, on: Email Evolving

Internet email is in a process of rapid evolution. Besides the obvious
things, such as spam and malware, many other technology trends are
having an impact. These include mobile devices, new messaging
technologies, social networking, changing legal requirements, the rise
of Software as a Service and Service Oriented Architectures, and an
unstable underpinning of the network itself. Not surprisingly, many of
these same forces do or will affect other parts of the network.  This
talk will describe these evolutionary pressures, point out some of the
unexpected consequences of our attempts to adapt to these pressures,
and make some dire predictions for the future.  Generous time will be
allotted to Q&A.

Eric Allman[1] created and authored sendmail[2], spearheads
sendmail.org[3], and is Chief Science Officer[4] and co-founder of
Sendmail, Inc.[5]  Sendmail remains the most popular mail transfer
agent (MTA) on the Internet.  Eric co-authored the draft specification
for DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM)[6].  Among his work and
contributions, Eric was also Chief Programmer on the INGRES Relational
Database Management System and an early contributor to Berkeley UNIX,
authoring syslog, tset, the troff -me macros, and trek in addition to
sendmail.

If you intend to come, please RSVP to: rsvp at balug.org
Why RSVP?  Well, we probably wouldn't turn you away, but the RSVPs
really help the Four Seas Restaurant plan settings/food/staffing and
help ensure that we're able to eat upstairs in the private banquet room.

Subscribe to our (low volume) Announce list[7] to be sure and be
notified of our upcoming events.

0. http://www.balug.org/
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Allman
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sendmail
3. http://www.sendmail.org/
4. http://www.sendmail.com/sm/company/management/
5. http://www.sendmail.com/
6. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dkim
7. http://www.new.balug.org/#Lists

------------------------------

Additional upcoming BALUG meeting dates[8] and speakers (see our web
page[8] for more details):

2008-05-20 Jeremy Allison[9]
2008-06-17 Andrew Morton[10]
2008-07-15 Mike Linksvayer, CTO, Creative Commons[11]
2008-08-19 (speaker confirmation pending)
2008-09-16 Ian Murdock, founder of Debian[12]

Subscribe to our (quite low volume) Announce list[7] to be sure and be
notified of our upcoming events.

 7. http://www.new.balug.org/#Lists
 8. http://www.new.balug.org/#Meetings%20(upcoming)
 9. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Allison
10. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Morton_%28computer_programmer%29
11. http://creativecommons.org/
12. http://www.debian.org/

Contacting BALUG: http://www.new.balug.org/#Contact
Feedback on our publicity/announcements (e.g. contacts or lists where we
should get our information out that we're not presently reaching, or
things we should do differently): publicity-feedback at balug.org