linux compatibility for USB/Firewire addon cards?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Sep 16 17:59:51 PDT 2007

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, Renhao Zhang wrote:

> I'm interested in installing an add-on card to extend USB 2.0 and firewire
> functionality to an AMD box.  However, information on linux compatibility
> for these types of equipment seem very hard to find.   So far, I've been
> able to find only a handful of confirmed accounts at linuxquestions.org.
> Does anyone have experience using currently available ones (like Rosewill,
> for example) with good results?  If so, what brand/model has worked well?

The problem is that it's always hard to know what chip is in the card you
buy.  Manufacturers sometimes change which chip is on the card, and Linux
has support for those chips rather than complete cards.

My experience is that pretty much any add-on card will be compatible;
Linux's chipset support for USB has been pretty good since years ago.  I
don't personally use FireWire, but I imagine the same is true there.

-- Asheesh.

--
No skis take rocks like rental skis!