REMINDER: B.A.D. meeting for January: Wed 1/10/2007: 730pm-? at Quinn's Lighthouse

Holt Sorenson hso at nosneros.net
Wed Jan 10 00:24:11 PST 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 06:31:50PM -0800, Tony Godshall wrote:
 > Hi folks...
 >
 > Would be nice if I had an idea how many to hold a table for...
 >
 > See ya tomorrow?

The google maps url format is fairly straight forward:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%s

%s == the string you want to map in url encoding. Note,
this is great for using with firefox keyword bookmarks.

Since Quinn's Lighthouse is at:
1951 Embarcadero, 94606

The URL w/ space converted to %20 would be:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1951%20Embarcadero,%2094606

You can add a label by adding a string enclosed in parentheses.
So our Quinn's Lighthouse URL becomes:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1951%20Embarcadero,%2094606%20%28Quinns%20Lighthouse%29

If we want to loose eight characters, we can shorten it a bit:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1951%20Embarcadero,94606%28Quinns_Lighthouse%29

And all this w/o a maps api key. Yay! A maps url in 77 chars!  Fun, fun, fun!

Regards,
Holt