the right place to put http_proxy=

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 2 19:51:26 PDT 2006

Quoting Tony Godshall:

> Hi, guys.
Dang, did we scare all the gals away?

> I've got a squid set up on one machine and want another machine to use it.
> Obviously I can do a export http_proxy= for each user, but what's the
> best way to have it be default for tony running lynx and also for root
> running apt-get, etc.?

Well, to cover most interactive Bourne-like/POSIX(-like) shells,
placing it in /etc/profile should provide rather broad coverage.
There might be some exceptions, but that seems like a pretty logical
starting point - particularly if you're only concerned about most
interactive shells (one can do similar for C-shell and C-like shells, but
with different syntax in their appropriate files).  Note that this won't
cover other stuff (e.g. most stuff launched from crontabs or most daemon
type processes, etc.).

When in doubt, check the relevant man pages and/or standards documentation.

In this particular case, I'm not aware of a more Debian-specific way of
doing it.