(my first email to BAD list) Question about NTFS and FAT32

David Strom davstrom at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 5 00:03:53 PDT 2006

I get occasional BAD messages. Now I have a question
to ask. If I should send it to another email, please
let me know.

I have a Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux dual-boot system.
500 Gig hard drive. 100 gig for Windows, 100 gig for
LInux, and the other 300 gig will be for data (I do
video, so I like lots of hard drive space). I want
some or all of this 300 gig to be read/write
accessible from both Windows and Linux. So I have two
choices.

1. I can format the 300 gig as an extended partition,
and then have part formatted as NTFS and part as
FAT32. Linux should be able to see the FAT32
partition, and I can share data on that.

2. I can format the entire 300 gig as NTFS, and then
buy (for $20) Paragon NTFS for Linux
(www.ntfs-linux.com). This allows LInux read/write
access to NTFS partitions. Linux could then read/write
that whole partition.

Opinions? Has anyone used Paragon NTFS for Linux?

Thanks for any help.